Electrical Blockade of AP's In vivo

Jonathan Jacobs jxj24 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Jul 11 12:58:40 EST 1994

In article <2vqplp$p4a at search01.news.aol.com> D Blissard, dblissard at aol.com
writes:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to block action potentials in a nerve
> bundle electrically for minutes at a time without damage to the nerves.
> And if it is possible how would this best be accomplished ( constant
> current, voltage clamp, or other).
>
> Any information, references, advice, or comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

See work done by Mortimer and Fang around 1990/1.  I don't have the exact refs
handy, but you should be able to get them using MedLine Express, I would think.

They used asymmetric cuff electrodes and quasi-trapezoidal waveforms to
propogate antidromic APs to effect blockade.

jon
Jonathan Jacobs                            jxj24 at po.cwru.edu  <--
                                          jacobs at cwbiol2.biol.cwru.edu
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Case Western Reserve University           Rm. 300,  Biology Building
Cleveland, OH  44106-7080                 216.368.3574 (lab)