Q:Impact of PET or MRI on models in cog sci, AI, or psychology.

Scott A. Oakman oakma001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Mon Jul 11 09:54:46 EST 1994

In article <2vqag6$hjb at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> Kevin Spencer,
kspencer at iti.org writes:
>cgsst+ at pitt.edu (Clifton G Slater) writes:
>> I am preparing a paper on the impact of the use of PET
(positron
>>emission tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) for
brain
>>function mapping on current models and theories in cognitive
science,
>>artificial intelligence, or psychology.  The medical
literature is rich
>>with studies of these techniques to study the etiology of a
host of
>>diseases or brain trauma, but I have had little success in
locating any
>>literature on how these techniques/studies have influenced
current models
>>or theories of brain function in the above disciplines.  I
would appreciate
>>any pointers to relevant papers, theses, or dissertations in
these areas.

>Here are a few sources that come to mind immediately (I may be
garbling
>the titles/authors):
>
>  "Images of Mind" by Michael Posner and Marcus Raichle, a
Scientific
>  American book.
>
>  A recent article in Sci. Am. (this year) by the above two
authors.

I would think that a MEDLINE search on these two authors would
turn up several recent primary sources, as well.  I know
Raichle's group has been doing some "basic cognition" kinds of
studies.  (I just got *my* brain scanned by one of his former
postdocs, J.V. Pardo, as part of his studies of cognitive
processing in schizophrenics--I was a *control* subject, I'd
like to add... ;-) )

Scott Oakman
Graduate Program in Neuroscience
University of Minnesota