als

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sat Jul 16 02:27:12 EST 1994

Kimi Fennel (kimi at okway.okstate.edu) wrote:
> Seeking information in regards to ALS - Atrphied Laterial Scelerosis - please
> respond with other new posts that might be available to me in regards to this
> disease. Thanks

Maybe I repost this then:

Tue, 28 Jun 1994 22:30:34     bionet.neuroscience       Thread 15 of  100
Lines 42           Re: ALS-ATROPHIED LATERAL  SCOLEROSIS    No responses
stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI            Dag Stenberg at University of Helsinki

Kimi Fennel (kimi at okway.okstate.edu) wrote:
> SEEKING ADVISE, DIRECTION RELATIVE TO "LOU GERIGH'S DISEASE" NEUROLOGICALLY
> KNOWN AS ALS (ATROPHIED LATERAL SCOLEROSIS)(MY SPELLING I AM SURE IS
> INCORRECT) AND/OR MOTOR NUERON DISEASE.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis = ALS

> PATIENT HAS 6 MONTHS.
Nobody can predict that for sure. The disease may progress until death
or stop at any stage without getting any worse.

> ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?
To stop progression of the disease - not really. Not 30 years ago, not
now. Promising clinical trials are under way with various nerve growth
factors. For anybody now ill in ALS - nothing in view.

  To alleviate symptoms - a lot can be done. For muscle atrophy -
physiotherapy. For spasticity - baclofen and analogues. For loss of leg
movement - wheelchair. For loss of hand function - actuators working
from chin movement, eye movement, anything. For difficulties in
swallowing - special diet. For difficulties in breathing - CPAP, BIPAP
devices nocturnally will alleviate general daytime symptoms.

> PATIENT FIRM BELIEVER IN HERBAL REMEDIES!  IS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD BE
> HELPFUL RELATIVE TO THE MOTOR NERVE SYSTEMS IN THE BODY BY THE USE OF HERBS?
Not as known today.

> DISEASE I UNDERSTAND IS TERMINAL - NO KNOWN CAUSE THEREFORE NO KNOWN CURE.
It is coming - but not for those presently ill.

> PLEASE RESPOND ANY GUIDANCE OTHER GATEWAYS OF INFORMATION SOURCES WILL BE
> GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Believe in your neurologists rather than in various wonder cures.

Dag Stenberg, MD PhD
Dag Stenberg                               stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Department of Physiology                   stenberg at finuh.bitnet
P.O.Box 9                                  tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
    (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)               fax: int.+358-0-1918681
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland   tel: int.+358-0-1918532
        X.400:   /C=FI/A=FUMAIL/P=INET/O=HELSINKI/OU=CC/S=STENBERG/