FLUOXETINE withdrawal

Bonnie Stewart bonnie at amtron1.login.qc.ca
Sat Jul 16 17:18:00 EST 1994

I have heard too many contrary opinions on the best way
to withdraw from Fluoxetine.

Patient's diagnosis is Borderline Schizophrenia.
She is also withdrawing from benzodiazapines, anti-convulsants and basic
tranquilizers. She endured a six-week run of Paxil in February/94 which
she could not tolerate. She has been in two overdose-induced comas since that
time. She is thirty five years old, female, and feels like Roseanne Barr
on her worst day. She is using a staggered approach to fluoxetine withdrawal
(one day on, one day off) but finds herself snapping at people.

She frankly just wants to get off medication, especially since I've told
her that this type of disorder (a.k.a. borderline personality disorder
or, ambulatory schizophrenia et al) is not clinically known to be best
treated with medication or other therapeutic interventions. She has reduced
the benzodiazepine intake by 75% and has completely eliminated the
anti-convulsants.

Side-effects thus far: anti-cholinergic, weight gain, restlessness and
insomnia/nightmares. MD's won't help her. She seems to "belong" to her
psychiatrist. I would apreciate any help, even largely unproven opinions.

Thank you,

Diane "Bonnie" Stewart                             bonnie at amtron1.login.qc.ca