strange units in Brain Research

Mandy Caird PhD mandy at DRUID.HSC.COLORADO.EDU
Wed Jul 20 14:59:34 EST 1994

On 20 Jul 1994, Douglas Fitts wrote:

> An article in Brain Research uses some units I've never run into before,
> and I've exhausted my limited resources in my office and my colleagues'
> offices.  The authors are from Leipzig, Munich, and Quebec if that's a
> clue.
>
> Apparently referring to concentrations of tritiated amino acids and
> glucose or 14C tagged mannitol, etc., the authors use the units:
>
> TBq mmol(-1)  and GBq mmol(-1)
>
> where (-1) is of course an exponent.  What are these TBq and GBq?
> I'm guessing T is tera and G is giga.  I've no clue as to the Bq.
YOUR T AND G ARE CORRECT.  Bq=Bequerel
WHERE 1 Bequerel = 1 dps (disintegrations/second)
AND 7.7 x 10 (10)dps = 1 Curie
I NEVER USE BEQUERELS (AND I DON'T KNOW WHO DOES), I HAD TO LEARN THE
TERMINOLOGY TO PASS OUT LOCAL RADIATION TEST!
SORRY, I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE hg, IT MAY BE A MERCURY PRESSURE THING!
MANDY