strange units in Brain Research

Krister Eriksson BIO KRERIKSSON at FINABO.ABO.FI
Wed Jul 20 14:25:54 EST 1994

In <30jksm$fob at news.u.washington.edu> dfitts at u.washington.edu writes:

Stuff deleted..

# Apparently referring to concentrations of tritiated amino acids and
# glucose or 14C tagged mannitol, etc., the authors use the units:
#
# TBq mmol(-1)  and GBq mmol(-1)
#
# where (-1) is of course an exponent.  What are these TBq and GBq?
# I'm guessing T is tera and G is giga.  I've no clue as to the Bq.

According to CRC Handbook of chemistry and physics:

Bq = becquerel, that is a unit for radioactivity (number of decays /
second), 1 MBq = 27 microcurie

# Later, referring to a permeability surface area product (the paper is
# about transfer across the blood-brain barrier) they use the units:
#
# ml/hg/min
#
# I've often seen the PS product as ml/g/min, but what's 'hg'?

probably hectogram = 100 grams.

Krister Eriksson				kreriksson at abo.fi
Department of Biology, BioCity		fax: +358 21 654 748
Abo Akademi University
FIN-20520 ]bo
Finland