Crossed nervous systems

Richard Strauch strauch at lilly.com
Thu Jul 21 07:21:05 EST 1994

Brian Scott (scott at PSYCH.TORONTO.EDU) wrote:

>I think this would be the place to ask such a question, so here it is.
>
>What are the current theories as to why the nervous system is mostly crossed?
>What are the benefits which are thought to be gained from such a setup?

I had always thought that this was mainly a consequence of topological
changes that the "proto"-CNS undergoes in the early stages of
development when there is a massive multiplication and then migration
of cells.  I could well be wrong though - it's just one of those things
that stuck in my mind, don't know where from!!

> : > A  novice wants to know.  :-)
>
> : So does this one!
>
> Count me in, too.

Add me to the growing list!
cheers
Richard.

Richard Strauch                           strauch at lilly.com
Discovery Research Systems                (0)276 853471
Lilly Research Centre Ltd
Erl Wood Manor
Windlesham
Surrey GU20 6PH   UK