cell immobilization

Hannah Dvorak DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 22 11:38:49 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9407220924.C30399-0100000 at ipruniv.cce.unipr.it>,
vetfisio at IPRUNIV.CCE.UNIPR.IT wrote:

> I would like to get informations and suggestions about neuronal
> immobilization on planar surfaces. My project is a neurophysiological
> study of neurons dissociated from adult vertebrates, and I have to study
> their behaviour once immobilized onto electrochemical-sensitive surfaces.
> If anybody has some suggestion or comment, please let me know
>
> Luca Bussolati
> University of Parma, ITALY
>
> E-mail: vetfisio at ipruniv.cce.unipr.it

First of all, good luck - neurons move around like crazy.  In our lab we're
trying to keep hippocampal and superior cervical ganglion neurons immobile
over electrodes at the base of silicon wells, and even then they crawl out.

For a planar surface, I suggest the following references (you should also
look up other papers by these groups):

Connolly, P., Moores, G. R., Monaghan, W., Shen, J., Britland, S. and
Clark, P. 1992. Microelectronic and nanoelectronic interfacing techniques
for biological systems. Sensors and Actuators B 6: 113-121.

Corey, J. M., Wheeler, B. C. and Brewer, G. J. 1991. Compliance of
hippocampal neurons to patterned substrate networks. J. Neurosci. Res. 30:
300-307.

Kleinfield, D., Kahler, K. H. and Hockberger, P. E. 1988. Controlled
outgrowth of dissociated neurons on patterned substrates. J. Neurosci. 8:
4098-4120.

Singhvi, R., Kumar, A., Lopez, G. P., Stephanopoulos, G. N., Wang, D. I.
C., Whitesides, G. M. and Ingber, D. E. 1994. Engineering cell shape and
function. Science 264: 696-698.

Torimitsu, K. and Kawana, A. 1990. Selective growth of sensory nerve fibers
on metal oxide pattern in culture. Dev. Brain Res. 51: 128-131.

Anyone else out there working on this sort of thing?  I'd be interested in
corresponding...

Hannah

--
Hannah Dvorak
DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu
Division of Biology, Caltech, Pasadena CA