GABAergic Synapses

HARRY R. ERWIN herwin at mason1.gmu.edu
Sat Jul 23 08:27:49 EST 1994

GABAergic synapses are generally assumed to be inhibitory, but it was a
GABAergic synapse that Tom Vogl predicted would be switchable from
inhibitory to excitatory, and that Dan Alkon eventually confirmed to be
so.  Walter Freeman indicates that no one who has studied the GABAergic
synapse has investigated the effect of chloride concentration on its
excitatory/inhibitory nature. Has there been any work done here? I'm
reaching the point in my Katchalsky network modeling where I'm beginning
to substitute up-to-date neuronal models, and this area is important.

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: herwin at gmu.edu
Just a dumb engineer working on Katchalsky nets....