GABAergic Synapses

Jacob Galley gal2 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:35:57 EST 1994

herwin at mason1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:
>GABAergic synapses are generally assumed to be inhibitory, but it was a
>GABAergic synapse that Tom Vogl predicted would be switchable from
>inhibitory to excitatory, and that Dan Alkon eventually confirmed to be
>so.  Walter Freeman indicates that no one who has studied the GABAergic
>synapse has investigated the effect of chloride concentration on its
>excitatory/inhibitory nature. Has there been any work done here? I'm
>reaching the point in my Katchalsky network modeling where I'm beginning
>to substitute up-to-date neuronal models, and this area is important.

Maybe this is old hat, but in a lecture last week at the First
International Summer Institute in Cognitive Science, Malcolm Slaughter
suggested a model of attention in the retina using GABA for selective
inhibition.  You might want to look him up.

Jake.

--
Philosophers cannot purely and simply forget what psychology, sociology, ethno-
graphy, history and psychiatry have taught us about the conditioning of human