electrode wire coating

Charles E. Weaver wheat at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:35:05 EST 1994

In article <311sq8$q8d at agate.berkeley.edu>, navajo at uclink2.berkeley.edu
(Wilfred F Denetclaw) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to deliver DiI to somites in developing chick embryos using
> iontophoresis.  However, my electrode wires need Ag/AgCL coating.  Can
> someone experienced with this process provide me with information on how
> to do this?  Thanks a lot.
>
> Wilfred

  The easy way is to stick your silver wire into freash bleach for about
twenty min.  This should be done about once a week because the chloride
does come off with use.  A more difficult way is to use electrolysis with
a D (1.5V) battery.
Solution is .01 M HCl and .1 M NaCl.  Attach the silver wire to the + and
a ground to the - and place both into the solution.  Bubbles will let you
know that it is working.  Again leave for about 20 min and repeat once a
week.

Good Luck!]

-Chuck

|| ||
|| ||
\\^//   Charles E.Weaver
\\^//   Boston University School of Medicine    Phone (617)638-5323