Dolphins

Eric Mintz mintz at orchid.UCSC.EDU
Tue Jul 26 13:15:49 EST 1994

In article <ewass-260794112952 at hmc25.ninds.nih.gov> ewass at helix.nih.gov (Eric Wassermann) writes:
>In article <CtJvIo.FJ9 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
>asa3h at galen.med.Virginia.EDU (Adam Stephen Arthur) wrote:
>

>> I ran across an interesting thing about dolphin brains last
>> year.  Appparently their two hemispheres are alternately
>> active.  The original reference was (if I remember correctly)
>> in Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind" but I ran it down and
>> found it quite fascinating.  EEG recordings showed delta wave
>> patterns in one hemisphere (sleep?) while the other was active
>> and vice versa.  The supposition was that since they are
>> aquatic mammals, this was a mechanism to keep them moving at
>> all times; the organism as a whole never slept.  The
>> possible implications for human hemisphericity are interesting.
>>
>> I'd love to hear if anyone knows whether other species (aquatic
>> mammals or otherwise) do anything similar from someone out
>> there who studies this sort of thing.
>
>Birds do it (but not bees or educated fleas).

Not all birds.  Pigeons, for example, don't seem to.  I can't recall the
reference offhand, but I believe the bird species tested were long distance
migrators.  But my memory is vague on this.

Eric

--
Eric Mintz			     | "Run! Seek Shelter!  The 7-year dung
Department of Biology		     |  frogs are migrating!"