Dolphins

Roger DuBois roger at anatsg1.unil.ch
Thu Jul 28 01:27:24 EST 1994

In article <316avc$bb3 at agate.berkeley.edu> Joseph_Pullara at Maillink.berkeley.edu (Joe) writes:
>From: Joseph_Pullara at Maillink.berkeley.edu (Joe)
>Subject: Re: Dolphins
>Date: 27 Jul 1994 19:02:04 GMT

>Actually we know very little about what dolpnins _can_ learn since we
>occupy  a very different sensory space (visual and low frequency
>audition vs echolocation and high frequency audition).  For example a
>rat might conclude that we are very stupid since we cannot learn in
>their primary sensory space (olfaction). Can you smell your way home?

>- Joe Pullara
>  UC Berkeley

I tend to agree with the rat's point of view and your own...we are pretty
stupid in this (olfactory) respect.  But given that it must be also valid
that dolphins are stupid by the same measure.  This is turning out to
be quite interesting "I must say" especially since I work on corpus
callosal development and transfer of information.

If you have any references on callosal anatomy particularly with
reference to development I would very much like to hear of them.

I got peeved at someone wanting to talk to them I guess and anyway I
was in a really silly mood that evening.  Weird animals really when you
can heard them into shallow water and beat them to death with baseball
bats...there are not to many species so "docile".   Considering the ease
with which they swim it is a surprise that we have hunted they whales and
dolphins to the point of extinction with spears!!!!!!  And then just when
you think they have got their act together they crash into a beach somewhere
and start swimming inland!

 Dumb!  Come on, what else you call it. Sorry, I'm still in a silly mood.

If the cortices alternate in activity does anyone know the frequency and
phase relationships involved.