Robert Arnott R.H.Arnott at
Fri Jul 29 04:52:03 EST 1994

Bob Jacobs (Bjacobs at wrote:
>In accordance with your line of thought on this matter, it should be
>pointed out that cetacea haven't yet learned to pollute their own
>environment, cause genocide, or create nuclear weapons.  My, my, what does
>that say about their intelligence?
Maybe that dolphins have not evolved sufficiently to have the means to
pollute or to kill in large numbers.   Humans, on the other hand, who live
in a far less hospitable environment than that enjoyed by dolphins, have
experienced evolutionary pressure to devise ways of living more efficiently
(which has led to oft cited, unpleasant, side effects).

Robert H. Arnott
Department of Biomedical Science
The University of Sheffield
Western Bank
S10 2TN
United Kingdom

r.h.arnott at

Telephone +44742 768555 ext. 4660.   Fax +44742 765413