Weight-control drugs

Lamar Graham lbgraham at mindvox.phantom.com
Fri Jul 29 14:39:55 EST 1994

Howdy, all.

I'm the senior writer at Men's Journal (Rolling Stone's relatively new
men's mag); my primary area of expertise is men's health.

Over the past few years, there's been a resurgence of interest in using
drugs to help people lose weight and keep it off (see The Wall Street
Journal, 7/27/94, p.1).  Instead of the amphetamine derivatives prescribed
20 years ago, however, the new generation of diet drugs works in much the
same manner as the vaunted antidepressants Prozac and Zoloft -- by
manipulating the body's production of the neurotransmitter serotonin.  I'm
doing a story about this phenomenon -- how popular these drugs are as
appetite suppressants, how they work, whether they're effective in helping
people control their weight, whether they're safe, etc. -- and I'm looking
for interview subjects.  I'm particularly interested in talking to:

* Researchers who can explain the precise methods of action of the drugs
dexfenfluramine and fenfluramine (Pondimin) as well as their safety for
use in humans;

* Researchers who have used dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine or other
serotonin regulators in the treatment of obesity (or other weight-related
problems);

* Scholarly critics of the use of these drugs and/or their use in
controlling weight problems;

* People (men, preferably) who have used serotonin regulators to control
their weight (I'm interested in success stories, failures, tales of side
effects, anything and everything).

If you can shed some light on any of my queries, please don't hesitate to
drop me an e-mail or ring me up.

Wildly appreciative in advance for all your help, I am,

LAMAR GRAHAM  | "Ya betta check yo'self |            Voice: 212.484.1650
Senior Writer | Before ya wet yo'self." | Internet: lbgraham at phantom.com
MEN'S JOURNAL |	            -- Ice Cube |         CompuServe: 73060,1630