Shaking hands during dissections

Claire Maier bioaw124 at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
Sun Jul 31 00:36:20 EST 1994

Christopher Michael Rasch (rasch at leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: Hi all,

: 	I'm learning how to dissect out the cortex of fetal mouse brains.
: I dissect the brains using 3cc Dumont forceps under a field microscope, and
: I'm having difficulty keeping my hands from shaking.  The shaking makes
: it difficult to peel off the meninges, and often the turns the brain into
: mush.
: 	Does anyone know why the shaking occurs, and how it can be prevented?
: Is it likely to disappear as I become more skilled?  I've tried holding
: the forceps with a lighter grip but it doesn't seem to help.

The shaking is most likely due to enhanced physiological or slight
essential tremor.  If it's not medically contraindicated for you, try
taking some propanolol (requires prescription).  Once you become more
experienced, your hands may shake less, and you may be able to go off the
propanolol.