Dimeythlaminoethanol Query

Greg Yardley GBYARDLE at GAFF.watstar.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jul 30 12:55:18 EST 1994

Hello there--

	I am requesting information about a drug call dimeythlamino-
ethanol.  I have been hearing about this drug quite a bit lately and
understand that it aids the transfer of choline precursors into the brain
and increases the production of acetylcholine.  I have done a bit of library
research on the subject but have not been able to find much information as
my university (University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) does not contain a
medical school.  This drug, DMAE, is currently being taken by several
'friends' of mine, in an effort to increase their intelligence - however, I
question their intelligence as they cannot reasonably explain how the drug
works and do not know if there are any negative side-effects - only that
they 'haven't heard of any'.
	I myself have no real knowledge of neuroscience, so I'm asking you,
the experts, your opinions--

	Is this drug safe to take?

	Will it do what it claims - i.e. increase the level of choline in
	  your brain?

	Will this increased choline level truly have a positive effect on
	  intelligence?

I thank you in advance for your help.  Please e-mail me with any responses at

	gbyardle at gaff.watstar.uwaterloo.ca

In exchange, I will be glad to tell you anything you wish to know about 1st-
year Electrical Engineering... <g>