Neural Net Model of Hormones?

Jacob Galley gal2 at
Fri Jun 24 14:53:11 EST 1994

lazzaro at wheeze.CS.Berkeley.EDU (John Lazzaro) writes:
>lmk2 at (Leslie Kay) writes:
>> You might check out references on "immune networks" by Alan Perelson
>> and a couple of other people whose names I cannot remember right
>> now.
>Another book of interest I saw a few years ago, published
>by CRC, by a French mathematician whose name escapes me.
>It was an excellent introduction to models of immune systems;
>maybe someone knows the complete reference ...

Francisco Varela discussed how the operation of the immune system and
the nervous system may both be explained in the same (highly abstract)
systems-theoretical terms.  See his _Principles of Biological
Autonomy_ (D. Reidel, 1979).

The success of the physical sciences leads to the attitude of scientific
materialism, according to which the mind becomes, in one way or another,
merely the passive plaything of material forces.  The offspring turns
against its parent.					<-- William Barrett