Cortical Architectures

Maurizio MORABITO; Tel.6661 iv001 at nibh.go.jp
Fri Mar 4 21:59:12 EST 1994

In article <2l6e56$nrn at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu (Leslie Kay) write

 -:>Does anyone have a clue on why the paleocortex has 3 layers and the
 -:>neocortex, 6? In the work I've been doing with models of the olfactory
 -:>system, the three layers appear to have input, processing, and output as
 -:>their functions, but then I'm a dumb engineer...
 -:
 -:I'm not sure what you mean by "why," since the brain wasn't designed
 -:by an engineer ( ;-) ) . One can only speculate on the evolutionary
 -:advantage of developing the six-layered cortex, which could fill
 -:books.

Concerning the cortex, does anybody know the evolutionary advantage of
the increased (200,000 instead of 80,000 neur/mm2) density in the
visual cortex of monkeys and humans?

thanks
maurizio