HELP: Electrical and neurological connection

Thomas Chimento chimento at
Fri Mar 4 17:56:21 EST 1994

In article <2l62hg$ql1 at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, ery2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Edwin R. Yeh) writes:
|> In a previous article, kyeoh at (will think of something...) says:
|> >	Has there been any attempt to  interact human nerves to any
|> >electrical devices in medical history?  (Input from electrical
|> >devices to the sensory and motor nerves.)
|> >	I was just wondering if it is possible to connect inputs to
|> >any human nerves leading to the human brain.

MASSIVE FIELD!!! Key words: cochlear implant, cochlear prosthesis.
There have been electrodes implanted in the cochlear nucleus as well.
More key words: chronic electrodes, neural prothesis, stimulating electrode
arrays, intrafascicular electrodes, regeneration microelectrodes, ...

This will keep you busy for a while. These terms will cover auuditory,
somatosensory, motor, and visual systems. Have fun.

*Thomas C. Chimento Ph.D.  Internet: chimento at  *
*NASA, Ames                   Phone: 415-604-0376 (and Voice Mail) *
*Biocomputation Center          Fax: 415-604-3954                  *
*MS 239-11                                                         *
*Moffett Field, CA  94035-1000                                     *
*   My thoughts, only my thoughts, and nothing but my thoughts.    *