neuroplasticity

krizaj at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu krizaj at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Wed Mar 9 00:49:26 EST 1994

In article <ik93.762979812 at sol>, ik93 at sol.acs.unt.edu (Leach Shannon) writes:
> I am interested in studies or articles about neuroplasticity especially
> from a medical perspective.  I am trying to convince an orthopedic
> surgeon that change within the nervous system is possible.  He is of the
> opinion that the CNS is a static or slowly deteriorating system.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> shannon at noc.unt.edu
> or
> skl4277 at falcon.tamucc.edu

Try the paper by Mogilner et al published last year (or 92) in PNAS.
They imaged patients with skin_between)fingers before and after
surgery and found extensive reorganization of the  primary
somatosensory cortex. Also you might be intersted in the extensive
work on cortical plasticity (primates, cats,...) done by Mike
Merzenich's group.

David Krizaj