[Q] Visual detection of moving vs. stationary stimuli

chris hickie chickie at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
Fri Mar 25 00:11:12 EST 1994

In article <Cn4B95.41L at midge.bath.ac.uk>, ee0mlf at midge.bath.ac.uk (M L
Fogg) wrote:

> Michael Hucka wrote:
>
> >1) Does anyone know of any creature that... ...cannot sense visual motion?
>
> No, but on the flip side, I've heard that frogs are far better at detecting
> moving objects than they are at detecting stationary ones.  Yummy flies are
> always moving when they get eaten.
>
> Martyn

Toads can't locate their food unless it is moving.  One night I bounced
some small paper wads around this one toad.  He only ate the ones that
were still bouncing when they went by his head.  Then he'd spit
them out, but I didn't feel expanding my study to feeding.  I guess
you could fish for amphibians this way.  I wonder if most fish
are like this as well in terms of the type of bait they will
strike (stationary vs. moving)

Chris