Anyone use indium/Pt electodes?

Jeremy Payne jeremy at wildcat.npa.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 25 16:05:10 EST 1994

I work in the ELL of electric fish (part of brain -- not really relevant
to my question), and I've heard rumors that electrodes consisting of
a platinized indium slug in a glass micropipet have remarkably stable
electrical properties.  Can anyone comment on their fabrication/use/
characteristics?  At the moment I'm using both tungsten and glass, but
having only marginal success recording extracelluarly, primarily because
we need well matched pairs of differential electrodes to get rid of the
fish's electric organ discharge signal, which otherwise swamps the recording
area with a significant amount of noise.  Any and all refs or suggestions
for extracellular electrodes would be appreciated, especially if someone
has any experience with the idium type I described above.  Thanks a bunch,

Jeremy Payne
UIUC Neuroscience program /
College of Medicine
jrpayne at uiuc.edu