lateralization in me?

Jennifer L. Johnson jjohnson at convex.com
Sat Mar 26 02:09:43 EST 1994

I have what I think is a very unusual characteristic that I am hoping
someone in this group can help me identify, or at least tell me it's
not that unusual.  If this isn't the place to post this kind of
inquiry, I'm sure someone will set me straight.  :)

All my life (37 years), I've responded to emotional stimuli by goosebumping.
Even the slightest emotional response makes me puff up like a cat.  What's
unusual is that I goosebump on just one side of my body.  I can see the
dividing line right down the middle of my torso.  AND, the side that responds
depends on whether the emotional stimulus is visual or auditory, i.e.,
one side responds to things I hear, the other to things I see or read.

I think this is unusual because, first of all, I've never known anyone
who goosebumped as easily as I do (friends say I could never poker; I'd
puff up if I had a good hand  ;-).  And though I know some people do
respond sometimes by goosebumping, I've never known or heard of anyone
who got goosebumps on just one side.

I don't know if this figures in, but I'm left-handed, and I CANNOT
distinguish left from right.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's heard of this anomaly and/or
has any idea as to its cause.

--
Jennifer L. Johnson |
jjohnson at convex.com |  First, there was nothing.  Then it exploded.