Detection of moving images?

Michael Hucka hucka at engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 27 12:26:45 EST 1994

  MCCAINKW> I am familiar with a wide range of invertebrates that have fairly
  MCCAINKW> rudimentary "vision systems" -- light sensing organs, etc. in
  MCCAINKW> planktonic larvae of sessile organisms such as bryozoans for
  MCCAINKW> instance (and then there are the blue-eyed scallops 8-) )

  MCCAINKW> I think an interesting side question might be "under what
  MCCAINKW> environmental/ evolutionary conditions would detection of visual
  MCCAINKW> motion not be necessary or likely to be selected for.

Yes, I think that's a very good question.

Basically, I expected that virtually all creatures that had vision would be
able to sense motion as well, though I tried to phrase my question in a
neutral way.

Thanks for your reply,
--
-- Mike Hucka
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.