leaded crystal - toxicity?

Mark Mattson mpm at seqanal.mi.uky.edu
Wed Mar 30 09:02:59 EST 1994

pdh at maple.circa.ufl.edu wrote:
: Does anyone have any references for the toxic effects of storing
: drinks in leaded crystal?  I have heard that the lead can leach
: out.  Is lead a potential cause for neurological disorders?
: - Paul   pdh at ufcc.ufl.edu

Lead is most certainly a proven cause for neurological damage.  It is probably
more harmful to developing brains, but it can be toxic to adult brains too.

I don't know whether the structure of crystal makes for any differences in
its leaching potential, but I recall hearing a few years ago of some concern
about lead leaching out of stoneware and pottery, which apparently leaks lead
quite readily.

Steven W. Barger, Ph.D.
Sanders-Brown Center on Agin