ApoE kit and Alzheimer's disease

YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW
Tue May 3 18:55:46 EST 1994

Is there anyone saw the adervertisement in Nature (Nov 11?, 1993) about a kit f
or detecting ApoE polymorphism? There is a strong association between Alzheimer
's disease and ApoE4. The ad quoted J. Scott (Lancet 342,1993) as "...a common
marker for a devastating and frightening disease must provide the impetus for s
ocial and legislative change. Our thinking of Alzheimer's disease cannot be the
same again." Dr. Scott later declared his words shouldn't be used in the ad.
   I am interested in the technique and application of the ad. The ad talked ab
out biotinylation, binding to solid phase and denaturation, minisequencing, and
 DNP. It said the hands on time will be less than 2 hours. The name of the kit
is -----, I think I shouldn't speak out the product name, it's an ad. I fax to
the company "Sangtec Medical" at Sweden for further information about the kit,
but nothing is returned.

Would anyone comment on the availability of the kit? and compare it with the tr
aditional method (CfoI digestion after PCR amplification).

Would anyone tell me how to get further information from "Sangtec Medical"? The
 phone and fax of this company listed in the ad is Int+4686351200 and 468292181
 respectively. The correspondant is Per Stalbandske.
 THANKS.

CHEN-JEE HORNG, M.D.
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
VETERANS GENERAL HOSPITAL-TAIPEI