Book Review - The Making of Memory

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Thu May 5 14:04:34 EST 1994

In article <Coy5q2.H3I at ucc.su.oz.au>, Danny <danny at cs.su.oz.au> wrote:
>     title: The Making of Memory
>          : From Molecules to Mind
>        by: Steven Rose
			.
			.
			.
>habituation.  This is tied in with the history of psychology.  A whole
>chapter is devoted to describing the dead end of attempts to find
>"molecules of memory" and to reduce neuroscience to molecular biology.
>(Rose is vehemently anti-reductionist, as is apparent throughout
>the book.)
			.
			.
			.
I've told Danny that this is no straw-man; more
concretely, granting agencies continue to ap-
prove applications from researchers working
along reductionist, "memory molecule" lines.
Is this true, or am I too disconnected with
current neuroscience reality?
--

Cameron Laird
claird at Neosoft.com (claird%Neosoft.com at uunet.uu.net)	+1 713 267 7966