Book Review - The Making of Memory

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Thu May 5 14:04:34 EST 1994

In article <Coy5q2.H3I at>, Danny <danny at> wrote:
>     title: The Making of Memory
>          : From Molecules to Mind
>        by: Steven Rose
>habituation.  This is tied in with the history of psychology.  A whole
>chapter is devoted to describing the dead end of attempts to find
>"molecules of memory" and to reduce neuroscience to molecular biology.
>(Rose is vehemently anti-reductionist, as is apparent throughout
>the book.)
I've told Danny that this is no straw-man; more
concretely, granting agencies continue to ap-
prove applications from researchers working
along reductionist, "memory molecule" lines.
Is this true, or am I too disconnected with
current neuroscience reality?

Cameron Laird
claird at ( at	+1 713 267 7966
claird at ( at  	+1 713 996 8546