Marijuana and IQ

fthornton at ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu fthornton at ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu May 5 17:16:48 EST 1994

In article <2qb2id$f04 at transfer.stratus.com>, William_Mosco at vos.stratus.com writes:
>   I'm reposting this article to this newsgroup, it was pulled off
>   alt.drugs.  Hopefully someone here can help me.  Thanx.
>
>=> murple at ukelele.gcr.com (Murple) wrote:
>
>   Receptors of THC (marijuana) in the brain?
>
>=>...but in 1992 someone discovered previously unknown receptors in the
>=>brain that THC bonds to...but no brain chemicals seem to bond to these
>=>sites. It is almost as if these sites were specifically meant for THC, as
>=>nothing else known bonds to them.
>
> I've read this before; I believe the discovery was made at UCLA.
>
> I've also read that the study was proven inaccurate.  Are there
> any health experts out there who could clarify this above study?
>
> THanx in advance.
>
> Cheers!

it would be extremely unlikely that the brain would evolve receptors
for some plant product that probabaly doesn't have any survival value.
recently an endogenous agonist has been identified.  see Weidenfeld et al,
effect of the brain constituent anandamide, a cannabinoid receptor agonist, on
the hypohtalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in the rat, Neuroendocrinology, 1994,
59: 110-112.  if nothing else, it can give you a number of references to look
at.>