Action potentials - some difficulty with laws of electrical circuitry

John Edstrom edstrom at elmer.hsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri May 6 14:51:35 EST 1994

In article <chickie-050594215254 at girch45.med.uth.tmc.edu> chickie at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu (chris hickie) writes:

   In article <Bo2vERL.gokelly at delphi.com>, GREGORY C.O'KELLY
   <gokelly at delphi.com> wrote:

   > 	Action Potentials and saltatory conduction have long been
   > method and axiom for the neursciences.  The theory behind them has
   > been presented in detail by Dr. John Koester in chapters 6, 7, and 8
   > of the PRINCIPLES OF NEUROLOGY

   Care to give a better reference?  I can't *find* this book listed in either
   the Texas Medical Center Library or the National Library of Medicine.
   What year was it published?  Who published it?

   >  in the essays "Membrane Potential",
   > "Passive Membrane Properties of the Neuron", and "Voltage-Gated Ion
   > Channels and the Generation of the Action Potential".  Unfortunately,
   > upon careful examination and reading it is found that the cited
   > equations for electrical circuitry do not support the claims made for
   > either action potentials or saltatory conduction by myelination.
   > This is shown by the application of mathematics to the equations
   > presented by Dr. Koester, especially in Appendix A of that volume.
   > 	The details of this analysis are presented in the paper, "Action
   > Potentials:  Valued Tradition or Embarrassment?"

   Why not just tell us here what the meat of your argument is?
   Or is it too _complex_ to post?

   > This paper has
   > considerable consequences for the neurosciences both in the opening
   > of vast new fields of investigation, and in the discrediting of the
   > clinically inconsequential findings of the old school of the
   > neurosciences which has its roots in the ideas of John Eccles,
   > Kenneth Cole, Alan Hodgkin, and Andrew Huxley.

   Coming soon to a journal near us, perhaps?  Will we see you in Miami
   in November?

   Chris
--
 John Edstrom | edstrom @ elmer.hsc.ucalgary.ca