Marijuana and IQ

Mr Neville Steven Percy spbcnsp at ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 6 09:24:44 EST 1994

William_Mosco at vos.stratus.com writes:
>=> murple at ukelele.gcr.com (Murple) wrote:
>   Receptors of THC (marijuana) in the brain?
>=>...but in 1992 someone discovered previously unknown receptors in the
>=>brain that THC bonds to...but no brain chemicals seem to bond to these
>=>sites. It is almost as if these sites were specifically meant for THC, as
>=>nothing else known bonds to them.
> I've read this before; I believe the discovery was made at UCLA.
> I've also read that the study was proven inaccurate.  Are there
> any health experts out there who could clarify this above study?

I know this was pulled off alt.drugs, but I would refer you back there, or to
alt.hemp -- the folks over there are very knowledgeable, prob. more
knowledgeable about the neuroscience of drugs than we neuroscientists are...
(of course some people are both!).
There was no known agonist for this receptor, so it must have been a gift from
God.  Obviously.
They have now found a compound called anandamide to have agonist action, but I
don't believe anandamide is endogeneous, so the mystery remains...

                                                    |  |
                                                    |i |
                                                    '__"``
                                                       ~~-._