REFERENCE FOR VESTIBULAR SENSE?

Michael Hucka hucka at krusty.eecs.umich.edu
Wed May 11 12:24:46 EST 1994

  > Does anybody know of a readable introductory reference to the vestibular
  > sense? Or of vestibular-visual interaction? I have looked in MEDLINE and
  > PSYCLIT and have found nothing. It appears to me that this is an area of
  > investigation that is seriously neglected.

  > I am looking for something like an article from SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN; this
  > reference is for an architectural student friend of mine who is
  > interested in the perception of the body in space.

By "vestibular sense", do you mean one's sense of balance?  The vestibular
system is involved in detecting movement and changes in head position, which
are necessary for maintaining balance and posture.  The system must integrate
information from the whole body, including the head and eyes.  The motor
system that controls the movement of the eyes, the ocular motor system,
interacts with the vestibular system in stabilizing the eye when the head
moves.

I don't think this is a neglected area.  See an introductory neuroscience
text such as Kandel, Jessell and Schwartz's _Principles of Neural Science_
(Elsevier, 1993).  Chapters 33 ("The Sense of Balance") and 43 ("The Ocular
Motor System") discuss some of these issues.  The technical level of this
text is roughly comparable to articles in Sci. Am.
--
-- Mike Hucka
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.