Marijuana and IQ

john wagstaff jw0207 at u.cc.utah.edu
Wed May 11 13:43:57 EST 1994

Will Nelson (wnelson at Eng.Sun.COM) wrote:
: spbcnsp at ucl.ac.uk (Mr Neville Steven Percy) writes:

: >William_Mosco at vos.stratus.com writes:
: >>=> murple at ukelele.gcr.com (Murple) wrote:
: >>   Receptors of THC (marijuana) in the brain?
: >>=>...but in 1992 someone discovered previously unknown receptors in the
: >>=>brain that THC bonds to...but no brain chemicals seem to bond to these
: >>=>sites. It is almost as if these sites were specifically meant for THC, as
: >>=>nothing else known bonds to them.
: >> I've read this before; I believe the discovery was made at UCLA.
: >> I've also read that the study was proven inaccurate.  Are there
: >> any health experts out there who could clarify this above study?

The THC receptor was cloned in 1990 by Lisa Matsuda, then at NIH,
now at the university of South Carolina.  Anandamide is an endogenous
compound derived from arachidonic acid.  THC receptors act by inhibiting
adenylate cyclase via a G protein, and also inhibit the N-type calcium
channel.  However, it is though that more endogenous cannabinoids will be
found.  several other endogenous cannabimimetics have been found, but not
yet purified.  Since anandimide has only been tested in rodents, its
psychotropic effects have not been assessed, but it does appear to mimic
other cannabinoids mechanistically.  A brief reference on cannabinoid
pharmacology is by william devane, trends in pharmacological sciences
(TiPS) Feb. 1994.

			john wagstaff, university of utah: >

: Restak covers this in his new book entitled "Receptors".
: He claims that there is an endogenous ligand for the THC receptor.
: --
: Will Nelson
: Product Distribution and Test
: SunSoft