endogenous anandamide receptor ligand- why????

Mr Neville Steven Percy spbcnsp at ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 12 05:54:13 EST 1994

Kenneth Wu writes:
>Can anyone suggest possible reasons for an endogenous anandamide receptor
>agonist which, presumably, would have some analgesic properties, if the
>endorphins are already present and in use as a system for pain management?
>Also, would there be any use for an agonsist which has marijuana-like
>short term memory-killing properties?

We-ell... You say 'endorphins', implying that you accept the need for more than
one of _them_, so why not others too?  I think the answer must be in the various
different specificities of the analgesia, and possibly an endorphin rush is a
different kind of side-effect from an anandamide high.  That would mean you can
get double the analgesis effect from an endogenous cocktail, without doubling
either one of the side effects.

That was just an idea... more likely is that the localizations are different;
anatomically and more especially on different types of neuron I expect.
Any answers?

                                                    |  |
                                                    |i |
                                                    '__"``