endogenous anandamide receptor ligand- why????

David dhe at er1.rutgers.edu
Thu May 12 16:52:03 EST 1994

Kenneth Wu writes:
>Can anyone suggest possible reasons for an endogenous anandamide receptor
>agonist which, presumably, would have some analgesic properties, if the
>endorphins are already present and in use as a system for pain management?

Sure.  Marijuana has been in clinical use for years to relieve
glaucoma and to reduce the nausea induced by chemotherapy.  (I believe
that the Bush administration put an end to the clinical use of
marijuana, but I believe the Clinton administration put an end to that
end.  I may be wrong.)  Maybe the endogenous ligand functions as an
innate anti-nausea or anti-glaucoma agent.

And, of course, if the THC/anandamide receptor turns out to have
different subtypes, drugs might be developed that would have efficicy
against glaucoma or chemo-induced nausea without producing unwanted
stonedness.

--David