FES :Was ( Re: action potential - neuroscientific Achilles heel )

Edwin R. Yeh ery2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Sun May 15 14:12:14 EST 1994

In a previous article, bioaw124 at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Claire Maier) says:

>Rifle River (jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu) wrote:
>: >
>: > Gregory's background is that he is spinal cord injured, and somehow
>: > believes that if his theories were to be adopted, they would lead to the
>: > development of a treatment to reverse his paralysis.
>
>: Claire, do you know this for a fact?
>
>I wouldn't joke about something like this.  It's true.  When Gregory first
>far back as the 1700's), I posted a reply critical of his "abstracts."  He
>later e-mailed me and told me that he was paralyzed and that his theories
>showed why modern neurology has, and must, fail in treating spinal cord
>injury and neurodegenerative diseases, and that his "research" had shown
>him that his condition should be reversible.  (Plus other comments about
>how scientists don't have the patience or the insight to follow his
>arguments because they have been too entrenched in their own views for 2
>centuries, etc.)

If this is the case, Gregory may be interested in talking to some of the
people here at Case. Several professors in our biomedical engineering
program (Dr. Peckham and Dr. Crago) have been working on the restoration
of hand control for spinal cord injured patients for the last 20-30 years.
The affilated FES center (FES for functional electrical stimulation) has
developed systems capable of restoring hand grasping, arm raising, etc.
A good friend of mine who is also a biomed. engr. grad. student for
Dr. Crago, Chou-Ching Lin, M.D. works specifically on the hand.
Another grad. student, Rahul Chaudhary, and his advisor at VA Hospitals
works on the restoration of posturing, standing, and walking via ambulatory
assitance through the same technology.

That's the application side. On the theoretical development side, the
applied neural control laboratory (ANCL) developes new ways of interfacing
with nerve using various electrodes. Dustin Tyler, a grad. student, won
the IEEE EBMS best student paper award just last year on an electrode design
for stimulation of the nerves. The lab is led by Dr. Mortimer. And many
projects are going on right now -- the more interesting ones involves selective
activation of nerve fibers, etc. Dr. Durand is pioneering new techniques
of stimulation using magnetic stimulation. His student Srikantan Nagarajan,
who is about to get his Ph.D. this year, was the second place winner in the
IEEE EBMS contest two years ago.

I haven't read all of greg's articles but if he's interested, he can send
me e-mail and we can have some discussions. The point is, many people are
active in the fields, not all scientists are impatient, and the study of
bioelectricity is very much alive and up to speed.

Regards,

Edwin
--
Edwin R. Yeh < ery2 at po.cwru.edu >  |  Research Interests
Biomedical Engineering & Neurology |+ Experimental Characterization of Neurons