researches in acupuncture

Rifle River jstream at girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
Tue May 17 10:20:42 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9405151353.H14559-0100000 at eis.calstate.edu>,
alstein at EIS.CALSTATE.EDU (AlangM Stein) wrote:

> Here in southern california where in some neighborhoods there is a
> acupunture shop on every bloack a puncturist is reported to have
> recomended a patient stop taking sulfa for a bladder infection. How
> effective is puncturing for this infection or should malpractice be
> pursued?

This sounds extremely dangerous.  Malpractice should be pursued (if
possible).  I have not seen any evidence indicating that a bladder
infection can be cured with accupuncture.  I stopped reading this field in
1986.  If anyone has any more recent evidence then please post sources
which contradict or support my statements.  The puncturist who thinks
accupuncture can cure infections believes that accupuncture is a panacea.
However, accupuncture can not *cure* anything.  Many claim that
accupuncture is useful for reducing pain.  This statement has a greater
probability of being true and much anecdotal evidence exists which supports
this claim.  However, when adequately controlled blind studies have been
conducted (refs upon request) the pain reduction effect has disappeared.
Many people also cite accupuncture use in China as evidence that there must
be something to it.  However, only 5% of surgeries in China actually use
accupuncture and frequently the patient is given an anesthetic before the
needles are inserted.  This 5% seems odd because 33% of a population
frequently show benefit based on placebo effect alone.

Presumably, electroaccupuncture has had more success than needle
accupuncture.  However, the link between electroaccupuncture and needle
accupuncture appears to be tenuous.

Again, I haven't done any reading in this field in a long time.  Please
post sources, especially if they contradict what I have posted.