pain mitigation

Leslie Kay lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu
Wed May 18 15:13:38 EST 1994

In article <18MAY94.11541955 at sienna.cc.utexas.edu>,
 <ljh at sienna.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>I don't know about stroking an injured area per se, but acupressure
>(to which I was introduced through martial arts) certainly can have
>an effect.
>          Lisa Harris

I remember from introductory neurobiology that pressing on an injured
area can deactivate the pain receptors.  That's why if you hit your
thumb with a hammer the first response is to squeeze it.  I forget now
how this works or if it works later than right after the injury (I
think it does).  It has something to do with synapses in the spinal
cord being inhibited by the pressure receptors (?).

Leslie Kay
lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu