grad schools

Kent Fitzgerald GD 1994 kentfitz at minerva.cis.yale.edu
Mon May 23 09:53:28 EST 1994

Stephan Anagnostaras (stephan at hannibal.psych.ucla.edu) wrote:
: Unless you have two or three publications, a perfect undergraduate
: record, and perfect GRE or MCAT scores, you should rule out MD/PhD
: programs. I don't mean to discourage you if you actually have these
: qualifications, but if you don't you shouldn't consider applying to
: an MSTP program.

Hold on a second! Multiple publications? Perfect grades and scores?

Why are you trying to scare off those who have only one publication, or
not-yet-published work, or merely excellent grades and scores? How about
letting the admissions committees have a say in this, rather than telling
potentially qualified applicants that they shouldn't even dare to
consider an MD/PhD program?

I know a few MD/PhD students in neuroscience, and none of them were the
sort of super-applicants that you describe. Very good, yes, but not
perfect. I agree that MD/PhD programs are not for everyone (and certainly
not for the undecided). But they are an option for qualified and highly
motivated students who are committed to both research and medical practice.

Sincerely,
Kent