grad schools

Jason A Campagna jcampa at umbio.med.miami.edu
Mon May 23 21:55:27 EST 1994

The gentlman named Kent was an imprtant voice of reason out here.  I
myself am a fourth year MD/PhD student in neuroscience at the University
of Miami School of Medicine.  i will tell you this, I was a qualified
student but I did not fit the bill described by the first gentleman.  In
short, Medical schools want good, motivated, focused people while
graduate schools want people with the same qualtities plus the desire to
ask questions.  MD/PhD programs are about learning to ask good questions
that can eventually help bridge the gap bewteen basic science learning
and clinical application.  If anyone out there fits this bill then look
into these programs.  Do not get me wrong, they are not for the weak
or faint hearted.  The pace is often grueling and the work tedious but I
feel it is worth it.  E mail me if you would like info on our program
and by all means, do not get discouraged by some overblown impression of
what other students say you need.

Jason