grad schools

Leslie Kay lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu
Tue May 24 13:38:40 EST 1994

In article <2rptlh$bgi at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au>,
Lisa Olson <lisao at psy.uq.oz.au> wrote:

>Will somebody please explain to me how an undergraduate is
>expected to publish anything?
>The only way I know that an undergraduate can even be in a lab
>is either by getting a lab assistant job (which doesn't lead
>to any research or publications) or by taking this class which,

In our lab there have been many undergrad assistants, and several
of them have had publications, not necessarily as first authors,
but often as second or third authors.  In addition, two of the
people who came in as assistants have put together their own
projects after working as assistants for a couple of years and
are getting publications as first authors.  It is possible,
but not very common to be first author, but I don't think that
it is necessary to be first author to be applying to an MD/PhD
program.

Leslie Kay
lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu