nostrils and brain

Marc DERNISON at stpc.wi.LeidenUniv.nl
Tue May 24 14:57:00 EST 1994

A while ago I read about an interesting phenomenon in relation
with a small muscle apperently present in the nose, capable of
regulating the amount of air one inhales trough each of both
nostrils.
There seemed to be a rhythm of 1-2 hours, in which one changes
from one nostril to the other. This was said to be related to
a change in brain activity, i.e. more activity in the
hemisphere at the opposite side of the nostril one is
breathing with.

Does anyone know any literature about this effect, or can
anyone provide me with more facts on this phenomenon? How does
it work?