grad schools

Su K. Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Tue May 24 19:49:18 EST 1994

In article <2rp932$o15 at hannibal.psych.ucla.edu> Stephan Anagnostaras,
stephan at hannibal.psych.ucla.edu writes:
>Unless you have two or three publications, a perfect undergraduate
>record, and perfect GRE or MCAT scores, you should rule out MD/PhD
>programs. I don't mean to discourage you if you actually have these
>qualifications, but if you don't you shouldn't consider applying to
>an MSTP program.

One possibility if you're really interested in doing both the MD and PhD
and you can't get accepted MSTP is to start by applying to one program at
the school of your choice, working in that program for a year or so (to
sort of prove yourself to the faculty) and then apply to the other from
within the university.  Under this plan you're less likely to get funded
for the MD part but at least you end up with both of the degrees you want.

Has anyone done this successfully?