grad schools

john wagstaff jw0207 at u.cc.utah.edu
Sat May 28 14:15:19 EST 1994

After following this thread for a few days I though I would add my 2
cents.  Remember that you don't have to be in a neuroscience program to do
neuroscience research.  I am a grad student in an excellent pharmacology
department at the University of Utah and though our lab is associated with
the neuroscience program, we are devoted to neuropharmacology.  That is
not to say that we are limited to using only pharmacological manipulations
to do our research, we are encouraged to collaborate with anyone on campus
who uses the techniques we need to answer our questions.  Another thing to
take into consideration when choosing a grad school is where the school is
located.  It makes grad school very much more enjoyable if you have a life
outside of the lab.  This aspect is why I think Utah is one of the
greatest places to go to grad school, not only is there great research
from genetics to cold fusion ;) but there isn't a better spot for outdoor
activities.  If you enjoy skiing, rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking,
canoeing, kayaking, or just seeing some of the most spectacular scenery in
the world, this is the place to be, unless you are the type that has to
spend 16 hours a day in the lab.
	just a few things to think about.
					John wagstaff