grad schools

M. Jane Harper jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU
Sun May 29 17:26:03 EST 1994

On 28 May 1994, john wagstaff wrote:

> Remember that you don't have to be in a neuroscience program to do
> neuroscience research.

I second that notion .. I am in a PhD program in nursing, where we have
faculty doing everything from investigating receptor-specific opioid
actions in the rat to qualitative phenomenologic study of the experience
of recovering from stroke.  My own research is based in the critical care
unit, since I am an ICU nurse by education and temperament; but the basic
science is there too.  My adviser and I just finished an extensive review
of the neuroanatomic and neurophysiologic substrates of opioid-induced
side effects, coming soon to a journal near you <g>.

Of course, it helps that UCSF has a few good basic neuroscientists on
board too <big grin>....

Jane Harper, MS, RN, CCRN
University of California, San Francisco
jharper at itsa.ucsf.edu