grad schools

Audrey J. Ettinger ajetting at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue May 24 14:20:37 EST 1994

To give some increased advertising for my own school,Washington
University in St. Louis,  I thought I would mention our program in
Philosophy/Neuroscience/Psychology, run mostly by the Philosophy
department.  There is a monthly discussion group plus a seminar series
devoted to questions which cross the boundaries of these areas.  Combined
with the strong MD/PhD and straight PhD programs offered here, it's
probably worth considering.
	Just to put in my two cents worth about MD vs PhD vs MD/PhD -
while many MDs become excellent researchers, I have known of many who
would have benefitted from especially the close mentoring relationship
established during graduate school.  I don't happen to think an MD is
_necessary_ for getting a research job, and I also don't think it's quite
as hard to get in to an MD/PhD program as some have described.

Good luck deciding, Tom!

Audrey Ettinger
Neuroscience Program
Washington University in St. Louis