Basic reference for auditory cortex

doug doug
Tue Nov 1 20:51:56 EST 1994

In article  <389jtv$nvm at riscsm.scripps.edu> Susan Koester
<Koester at sc2.salk.edu> writes:

> > Our work is to design neuromimetic architecture for speech >
recognition
> with
> > computer. To achive our goal, we take inspiration in neurobiological
> > data. It seems that cortex is organized with different areas each of
> > them having a particular fonctionality. For instance, the primary >
area
> > of visual cortex extracts visual features such as orientations.
> > Regarding the auditory cortex, at the lower level, I believe we can
> find
> > tonotopically organized maps. What kind of maps can we find at a >
upper
> level?
> > Or, how can the word level be represented?
> > Does it exist an organized area coding words (or syllables, >
phonemes)?

Check out the work of Nobuo Suga on the auditory cortex of the mustached
bat.  He finds neurons that respond to combinations of biosonar signal
components to extract information of relevance such as target range or
velocity.  Different information is represented in different (and
multiple) areas, and in several areas the information is represented as
a map.  In other species the organization of auditory areas beyond
tonotopy is much less well understood.

Doug Fitzpatrick