Scientific explanation of free will?

Jason Rothstein jrothstein at college.antioch.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:51:04 EST 1994

: >
: > The concept that free will does not exist is disturbing and I don't want
: > to get into it here, as this is not really the appropriate place.  I am
: > just hoping that someone can explain to me a reason why free will COULD or
: > SHOULD exist (and please leave "God" and "souls" out of it... unless you
: > can come up with a SCIENTIFIC explanation of either of those).
: >
The concept of free will is culturally-bound, as is your slavish devotion to
the idea that science can answer an inherently inanswerable question.
Free will, as you think of it, is not a human universal like gross brain
anatomy or basic neurocellular and neurochemical structure. Science does
not posess the tools to satisfactorily address your query in a meaningful
sense, I think.

But as to free will, I suggest:

"We must believe in Free Will... we have no choice."
						--Issac Bashevis Singer

Good luck in your questions,

Jason Rothstein