discussion on the neuroscience news group

P.B.Cook pcook at med.umich.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:28:36 EST 1994

In article <39laka$3jjk at ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> x011 at ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU writes:
>From: x011 at ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
>Subject: Re: discussion on the neuroscience news group
>Date: 7 Nov 1994 08:38:18 -0500
>In article <01HJ5UQCRBCY005JDI at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU>, NOVOTNY%MRCBS at BIOMED.MED.YA
>LE.EDU (RUSTY) writes:
>>REGARDING ACCESS TO MEDLINE OR OTHER DATABASES!  Many users do have access
>>to these sources, but part of use of a discussion group is to obtain
>>information from "experts" directly.  A database such as MEDLINE can be
>>searched for a specific topic and if 100 references are found which of
>>these are important or should all be read. How do you prioritize the
>>references? A discussion group may help address some of these questions!
>>
>>EJ Novotny    novotny at biomed.med.yale.edu
>>
>I agree.  In addition, a person may be knowledgeable in an area but
>has not used that information lately.  The questions stimulate
>implications that can be very stimulating to the person reading
>the question and chain into some interesting research.  Ron Blue
I am not disputing the usefulness of the neuroscience newsgrp!  I am
simply suggesting that users making requests for information cover
some of the basics of the topic before making the request (any review
article is a great platform from which to launch the request.)  When a
foundation for the request is established then the text of the request
should reflect the foundation for a specific question.
e.g.  "I am a beginning neuroscience student and I have been reading
research papers involving patch-clamp techniques.  Many of the papers
refer to the ability to "space-clamp" the cell."
Then can come a stream of questions.
"What does 'space-clamp' mean?", or "What does a good 'space-clamp'
imply about the results?", etc...

The answer to a question can be focused appropriately if the level of
knowledge the recipient is understood.

An example of a good request can be seen in the request entitled:
"correction for ocular artefact in EEG."

p. cook
My apology to J.Harvey for my lack of net-finesse.
Address follows:
pcook at umich.edu
paul at mander.berkeley.edu
(That's Doctor to you!) "anonymous"  ;-)