Differences between a fovea & area centralis?

Ken Sanderson bikjs at flinders.edu.au
Fri Nov 4 09:41:17 EST 1994

In article <HUCKA.94Oct31165607 at krusty.eecs.umich.edu> hucka at krusty.eecs.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) writes:
>From: hucka at krusty.eecs.umich.edu (Michael Hucka)
>Subject: Differences between a fovea & area centralis?
>Date: 31 Oct 1994 21:56:07 GMT

>Can someone please explain to me the differences between a fovea and an area
>centralis?  I know which species have which kind, and understand that a fovea
>is a pit-like depression containing only tightly-packed cones and with the
>bipolar and ganglion neurons shoved out to the surrounding area.  But I've
>had some difficulty finding a description of an area centralis and how it
>differs from a fovea.
>--
>   Mike Hucka (michael.hucka at umich.edu)
>   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.

An area centralis is a region of increased retinal ganglion cell density
usually corresponding to the visual axis or center of gaze. Descriptions of
the area centralis in the cat are given in:

Rapaport & Stone [1984] The area centralis of the retina in the cat and other
mammals: focal point for function and development of the visual system.
Neuroscience 11: 289-301

Rowe & Dreher [1982] Functional morphology of beta cells in the area centralis
of the cat's retina: a model for the evolution of central retinal
specializations. Brain Behavior & Evolution 21: 1-23

Hughes [1975] A quantitative analysis of the cat retinal ganglion cell
topography. Journal of Comparative Neurology 163: 107-128